POST OPERATIVE ADVICE
The cataract has been removed from your eye and an artificial lens has been placed in the eye.
* Keep the shield on for the first night
Be careful walking or performing any tasks
* Do not rub the eye
* Eye drops
Starting the day after surgery
– use the eye drops 4 times a day until your next doctors appointment.
* Pain Medication
Take your usual pain medication but do not exceed recommended dosages.
* Keep water out of your eye for 14 days after the operation
Shower and bath as usual. Be especially careful when washing your hair.
* Keep dust out of your eye where possible.
* Avoid straining
Gentle exercise only.
* Wear sunglasses
Dark glasses recommended especially in strong light.
* TV and Reading
These activities are acceptable.
It is not advisable to drive a vehicle for the first 24 hours.
If you experience any significant sharp pain, decreasing vision or sudden onset of ‘many floaters & flashing lights’ you should contact:
*Bunbury and Busselton Eye Doctors 9791 4111 Monday – Friday 08.30am – 5pm
* Accident & Emergency at Bunbury Regional Hospital out of the above working hours
If you have had a general anaesthetic/sedation your judgement may be impaired for up to 24 hours.
We advise that you should:
* Not drive a car or operate machinery
* Not travel alone on public transport, drink alcohol or sign important documents
* Have someone stay overnight with you
* Continue your normal medication unless otherwise advised